Saturday 30 August 2014

Birthday Cushions


I remembered in the last few days that I totally forgot to photograph and show you the very last project I did in the university studio. I was being very thoughtful and organised and decided to make some birthday presents for the friend's whose birthdays I was missing whilst I did my thing at New Designers.
I asked the girls what their favourite saying was, and then spent a while on Photoshop playing with different fonts and images and layouts until I was happy with how it looked. The image was then flipped and cut out using the plotter and cutter onto vinyl. The bits that I didn't want were peeled off and the remainder heat pressed onto cream linen.


Although you can't really see it in the photos (I totally forgot to photograph them before wrapping and giving them away so have been sent these images by the girls), I have embellished some areas with hand embroidery. In the above 'Live, Love, Laugh' cushion which was for my lovely friend Amy, the word 'Laugh' has been stitched around with back stitch, and the flower has been filled in slightly with french knots.


The 'What If The Hokey Coky Really Is What It's All About?' was for the lovely Vicky, and I have stitched inside the flower petals and backstitched around the inner circles of the 'Hokey Cokey'.
The backs of these cushions are of course, envelope backs, and I have added slightly different widths of Oxford edgings to all of them.



And finally, this quote, 'And We Danced All Night To The Best Song Ever' was chosen by myself as the lovely Emma couldn't think of her favourite one and it reminded me of our nights spent dancing the night away at parties. The left hand side musical note has been backstitched around, as has the inner of the words, 'To The'. The stars at the top have had a sort of star stitch put into the centre of them.


Hopefully these will be much loved cushions!!

I think this will be the last post for a week or so as I am off on another holiday on Monday. This time I will be narrow boating around The Four Counties Ring, and I will, of course, be taking lots of photos to share with you all when I get back. So excited!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment