Thursday 28 April 2016

Crochet Table Runner


Yesterday at work I was asked if I would make a crochet table runner for display using one of the patterns that we sell by DMC. I was intrigued by the challenge and said yes, immediately starting work on it when I got home. Following the pattern was relatively easy, it was well written and the fans were made up quite quickly. The table runner is made up of four fans, all measuring about 15 centimetres across, although if you have a longer table, the length is limitless as you would just add more fans. The wool is chunky and uses a 6mm hook, thicker than my usual 4mm. It's surprising how much of a difference it makes to hold, my fingers ached a bit after a while holding everything together.


The only thing I wasn't overly impressed with, with regards this particular pattern, was the instruction on how to join the fans together. It essentially said, join them like in the picture on the front...except in the picture on the front, the joins were hidden with candles!


I worked out a way to do it eventually, that involved having to alternate the front and back of the fans to make the sides nestle nicely into each other. I think it looks quite good when all stitched up, you wouldn't necessarily notice that they were slightly different.



I don't know that I'd make one for myself, we don't really have the right kind of table for this sort of thing- it would look nice as a display on a coffee table though, or on a deep window ledge (maybe dressed with some candles on!!!).


No comments:

Post a Comment