Thursday 30 November 2017

Tunbridge Wells Artisans



We are OPEN!!!!

It's been very exciting. We've had the first initial quiet opening to allow time to iron out the crinkles and get a routine going, then the official opening on Saturday where we got to meet all of the other artists for the first time. The place looks utterly amazing- although a little deceptive and quiet from the front maybe. The building is set back off the main road slightly so we really need to make the most of the front of the building to draw in the crowds. Inside is a little haven, crammed full of all kinds of amazing artwork and handmade s.t.u.f.f- I recommend you all come and have a look, there is too much in there to show you on this blog!


This was my little space during the opening day. It was nice to see my originals hanging individually- a lot of the older ones sort of get buried underneath the stacks of the new ones as they build up on my studio shelves. Always good to give them an airing, and re-inspire new projects!



I am sharing my space with the lovely ladies at Snobb Ltd, who make a whole range of handmade items, from jewellery to bags, cushions, machine embroidered purses, table stands, glasses cases..... the list goes on and they are always coming up with new products. They also work very hard at the craft fair circuit, as well as selling on Etsy and in The Silver Sheep. There's still time for you to purchase those last little stocking fillers!




Opposite us in our alcove are two more amazing artisans. These very sweet dolls are by Dollie Day Dreams who has a Facebook page you can follow (yippee!). I really love the dyed orange and red curls in the dolls above, and they all have the most amazing outfits!




Tucked away under the eaves are the very bold prints of Sarah Abercrombie Jones. Although I really like her artwork, I have serious crate envy. Do you think she'd notice if I swapped her lovely printed, be-legged crates for my lined Hobbycraft ones? Even Dad comments on these crates every time he pops round to TWA. I wonder if she made them herself? Perhaps I could have a go at creating similar ones- it can't be that hard, surely?




I haven't photographed the work of all of the artists at TWA (there are 32 of us in total, all varying completely in style and type- which I hope you can get a glimmer of from these images), but on the other side of our mesh wall are Molly Williams with her amazing felt figures and printed textiles (and her own kits!)....




...and The Driftwood Shack. I really love the candle bases in the lengths of driftwood. If only I had the space to have them sprawling across a mantelpiece or adorning a large dining table. Someone will have the space for these lovely pieces- perhaps it is you?



Right down the other end of the upper floor are a couple more artists, one of them being Violet Elizabeth who doesn't appear to have a social media I can find, but she does a lot of work with saris so everything is beautiful and silky and golden! I really love her sari lampshades- such a cool idea!


I will probably blog a lot more about this space as it develops. Things are already changing around as people think more about how they want their space to work, and Snobb and I have been doing lots of thinking and reshuffling around to see what works best. We will get there in the end, but it keeps things fresh if we move furniture and focus on some products one week and different ones the next. Hopefully business will pick up- especially as there is a German style Christmas market planned for the 9th December. We have Christmas trees, workshops, choirs, German street food, mulled everything, twinkly lights- it's all going on and should not be missed! Find more details, and details of our mailing list and anything else you want to know on the website- Tunbridge Wells Artisans (TWA for short).


No comments:

Post a Comment