Wednesday 18 April 2018

Bracklesham Bay









Bracklesham Bay was our lunchtime picnic area on Friday, and it was so lovely to be sat eating sandwiches on the beach again. The weather wasn't perfect, but it wasn't raining or so blustery you can't feel your fingers, so we'll take it! The beach itself stretches as far as the eye can see in either direction, and was really quite peaceful as most visitors seemed to be keeping to the nearby cafe. We were able to do some beach combing, and found lots of shell fossils, which this beach is renowned for (see this website here), quite literally lying among the pebbles waiting to be picked up. The tide was relatively high, but apparently at the lowest tide there is a much bigger stretch of sand which could contain shark teeth, bits of fish bone, lots of different fossilized shells, carbonised wood and seed pods, and if you are really lucky, crocodile teeth! Now I know about it, it kind of makes me want to go back with a sieve and see what else I can find there! For me though, beach treasure is all about sea glass, and I added four little green pieces to my collection so I'm happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment