Wednesday 12 July 2023

Brighton Embroidery Group ATC Workshop



I had a wonderful time a couple of Saturday's ago with the Brighton Embroidery Group. They'd asked me back to run a workshop specifically on Artist Trading Cards and we were focusing on the July Patchwork Fields/A Bird's Eye View theme in case anyone wanted to join in with the Stitchscape Swap afterwards.

When I visited them previously for a seaside themed Stitchscape workshop I'd made little packs they could purchase for the day with all of the fabrics that they needed in them and I was asked to do this again for the ATC workshop. I spent a happy couple of hours choosing all of the fabrics I could find that would hint at water, green fields, ploughed fields, wheat fields....mixing up the patterns with stripes, spots, batiks, plains, sheep! We were only going to be making one ATC during the workshop but I wanted the ladies to have lots of options so they each got seven fabrics in their packs and two backing cards as well as the backing fabric. Interestingly, there were a couple of comments about how tough the backing fabric was which I haven't had before. It's the same calico and the same weight that I always use for kits, workshops and personal use and I've never had any issue with it before. Is there any other feedback from kits or workshops about this calico? Do you find it too tough? It is literally called 'good quality calico'!

Then again, that slight stiffness sometimes helps with the stitching and perhaps the problem was slightly saggy hoops (argh), or well used and slightly less sharp needles? Who knows!



I was pleased with my little display. It was a three part-er with example and display pieces on one end, plus all of the folders of ATCs I've received or made over the years, kits for sale and sketchbooks in the middle and workshop fabrics, threads and bits 'n bobs on the other end. 




Several of the ladies had actually made ATCs previously but we spent a long time discussing how the composition of something so tiny was a lot harder than working larger. Trying to fit in all of the elements that they wanted caused some issues in some cases but a couple of the ladies were also very prepared and had cut out cardboard view finders which was a genius idea that I might borrow for future ATC workshops. My current technique, as you'll know, is to draw around the card back on the reverse of the hoop and then just hold the hoop up to the light to position it but actually, with the view finder, you can lay your fabrics out on the hoop exactly where you want them and stitch the border within the finder without having to turn the hoop over. Great idea!


Some beautiful pieces were started, look at the use of the fluffy fabric selvedge edge above as rows of grasses! I didn't manage to catch all of them so I'm keeping an eye on their website and newsletters in case any completed ones pop up - there are some unfinished ones shown in the July Newsletter. One lady did actually finish hers (scroll down a bit more) and it's beautiful! Lovely turned fabric edges and little fussy cut shapes for flowers, trees and a bird. 
I hope that this may have inspired a couple of them to join in with the swap - we will have to see what arrives through the letterbox nearer the end of July!!





All packed up and ready to go, I was being collected but due to Baby F sleeping longer than expected I had a twenty minute wait or so outside the venue, in the sunshine, working on stitching my example piece started (and stitched) during the workshop. A rather lovely end to a lovely day with the stitching carrying on well into the evening on the balcony at home (see below)! Thank you for having me again ladies. 






No comments:

Post a Comment