Monday 29 January 2024

The Full 2023 Stitchscape Swap Collection!


Well! How amazing is this? A whole year's worth of work, 12 themes, two cards for each theme, one made by me and one made by someone else, 24 cards in total! 

16 people contributed cards throughout the year, although actually only 4 of them (including me) participated in every single month. Some just did one month as a trial to see if they liked it, and others dabbled in and out as timing allowed. I don't mind that at all, it's nice to have lots of people sending cards in every month, and it would be absolutely brilliant if the swap were to grow and have hundreds of cards in but, with rising postage costs and people seeming to have less time again, I'll take whoever would like to join in and be grateful that they chose to spend their time making cards for my swap idea. 
Similarly with international participants, the postage to the UK seems to be astronomical now and although there has been a lot of interest from people in the USA, it is just not worth it to post every month, or even every three months because of the cost. (Unless you do think it is worth it, in which case join on in!)

What I've ended up with though, is 24 really lovely cards which make the most beautiful display. I did exactly this same photoshoot last year at the end of the 2022 swap (which you can see here), so my collection of other's peoples artwork is growing rapidly!! I'm not sure if I photographed all 48 of the cards together that you would actually see any detail in them though. 


A reminder of the themes for you: (working from top row, left to right, with my stitched cards on the left side of each pair)

January: Frosted Dew Drops
February: Snowdrop Carpet
March: Morning Chorus
April: Butterfly House
May: On the Edge of the Cliffs
June: Waterlily Pond
July: Patchwork Fields/A Birds Eye View
August: The Allotment Garden
September: Rockpooling
October: Toadstool Treasures
November: Thunder & Lightning
December: Still Reflections



I wonder how many cumulative hours this represents? Some of the cards are so detailed they must have taken hours and hours to complete regardless of their size. And there are so many techniques in each of them!! Machine stitching, various embroidery techniques, collaging, mixed media, painting, fabric dyeing, beading, petit point, felting, applique, cross stitch, beading... 



The themes were again linked as much as possible to the seasons so that there would be inspiration striking at the right time as you walked around. They are usually linked to landscape themes but I try to broaden the theme title so that they could be more abstract depending on how you wish to interpret them. Some are broader than others obviously but we've always had such a wonderful variety sent in, different angles, viewpoints, sometimes focused in on an area, sometimes taking a step back and giving an overview, some making a specific technique fit the theme in some way. 






In my embroidered collection I have some cards which I think have worked better than others. I was just about to try and pick a favourite but actually I do like most of them and it's easier to point out the ones I perhaps like least - the spider web interpretation of Frosted Dew Drops (mainly because I think it's too dark and didn't turn out like the vague image in my head), and the water lily themed card with the bridge. I'm not keen on the bridge itself and I think it could have done with more contrast. But overall I'm pleased with how the cards have turned out. 



I think the cards made by others are just so lovely though and, having received work from several of these ladies over the last two years (can you believe?), I feel I can recognise their signature styles and invariably know who the card is by without having to turn it over. It's been a real joy and a treat to see their beautiful pieces in person and to try and work out how they have been made, what techniques they might have used and have an insight into which techniques really make them tick. Also the things they hold in their stash!



I really hope that everyone who joined in with the swap in 2023 can also look at their collection with joy and awe. Both for the cards they've made and the ones they've received. Also that they are inspired to continue on for 2024 with the next set of 12 themes! 
 

These cards will all be added to my Papermania trading card folder so that I can flick through them with ease and admire all over again. Spares that ended up not being used (I make 4 cards rather than the 2 everyone else makes in case there's an issue with the post or a late joiner) will eventually be framed and added to my Etsy shop. 
I'm intrigued to know how others are storing their cards, do let me know!

The full collection, with individual photos of each card sent in for each theme, is on my website so you can go through and have a look. Or you can see all posts about the Stitchscape Swap cards for 2023 under the Category section on the right hand side of my blog, just scroll to the bottom of the right hand column and select ' Stitchscape Swap 2023'. 

Three cheers for the Stitchscape Swap 2023!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment