Wednesday 29 May 2024

WI Seascape Workshops


I had a sudden rush on seascape Stitchscape workshops in April and was mass making up packs of seaside themed fabrics. Amazingly, through word of mouth and the fantastic network of ladies who participate in multiple groups, I had been asked to run two workshops for the East Sussex Federation of the Women's Institute, after speaking to the Ringmer WI last year. 
The first of the workshops was at their Hailsham HQ and we had six lovely ladies attending, plus two extra as supports and to make the tea and hand out biscuits! It was interesting as these workshops were a mixture of WI groups from East Sussex, and it had been advertised at a big AGM and also in a WI publication of some sort (Ashdown WI showed it to me when I visited them for a talk beforehand - it's a small world). 


A couple of the ladies were champions of textiles and had had their work showed in events or won awards in various competitions so for me it was more of a case of getting them to try something a little bit different or to think in a Stitchscape kind of way rather than demonstrating stitches. As none of the ladies who were there stitching had ever been to a talk or anything it was their first introduction to it really - I don't know if that makes a difference or not. 


A couple of them had brought their own bits to stitch down, like some fun shells - or even some real starfish! The starfish turned out to be very delicate though so she did have to be careful when stitching them on not to snap the legs (always awkward). One did break off at the end but we managed to cover that with some netting so it just looked like it was tangled up in something rather than bandaged. 



For this piece we were discussing moss stitch to add texture (the stitches that you don't pull all of the way through to make loops on the surface - harder than you'd think!), french knots and blanket stitch waves which I have used on one of my own Stitchscapes as a technique. This is the first row going on here and then I think the plan was to build up and add other rows which overlapped over the top to make it look like the waves were rolling on the top of one another. 



The red in this piece worked really nicely. I had included the kind of stripy botanical print in because it reminded me of coral - it didn't get used in many other Stitchscapes as the ladies didn't particularly like it so it was often the one that got swapped for a different fabric, but in this case it was embraced and red/brown moss stitches (one strand of each colour in the needle at once) were added over the top to give it some additional texture. 



Some shell shapes don't lend themselves to being stitched down. I avoid the conical shaped shells, or anything that is too smooth because the threads just slip off of it, and the cones can wiggle their way out unless there is a hole somewhere in the middle to anchor it more like a bead. 
This shell in particular caused a lot of problems because it did just that, wiggled its way out! Eventually we sort of got around it by trapping it within a trimming and stitching the trimming down instead rather than the shell. I'm not 100% sure that it will stay there as really the part that needs anchoring is the largest part, but I hope that it does because a lot of time was spent trying to get it to stay there! I love all of the flotsam and jetsam that has been created around it with all of the fancy yarns and trimmings, it looks really lovely. 








I hope you'll agree though, that these ladies produced some truly beautiful hoops - look at their smiling faces. These workshops are just such positive days and I hope that everyone else has as much fun as me having a go at things and just seeing what it looks like. For me it's wonderful to see the students grow in confidence and have their own lightbulb moments when a stitch works for them or they tried something on their own and it worked better than they thought it would. Sometimes you just have to trust yourself and the process. 



The second WI workshop was in Pett, a tiny little place we'd never been to before near to Hastings. It was a little bit like stepping back in time driving through the village, lots of quaint thatched houses everywhere but their village hall was rather impressive! We were in a little side room and managed to squeeze 9 people in just about. Each workshop often ends up with its own little mini theme, and for this one we had, what can only be described as, "beach hut mania". One person wanted to put in a beach hut and the next thing there were beach huts being cut out and considered all around the room! Not all got put into the final hoops but for a while we had a seaside village being made. 




Shells within shells!



I think this one is rather clever with the use of perspective in creating the groynes (a bit like bit wooden fences set at intervals along a beach to help keep stones and shingle from migrating down the coast so much). The creator of this hoop was worried that the sequin tape would be too sparkly but I really think it rather sets off the hoop and makes them look like they are covered in shells or salt crystals from the drying sea water. She's also used the pattern of that botanical fabric underneath which you can just about see to help her space out the groynes and I love where it peeks out from underneath the tape like it's growing there. 





A stitched starfish this time.







There is something rather wild and wondrous about this piece. There was great care in making sure that the wild thread waves stayed in the flowing tangle rather than looking neat - it does give a real sense of movement and the water crashing and blowing around. A rather blustery day to be on the shore!




I had a great review emailed to me after this workshop which I would like to share with you; 

I'd like to get a message to Beth who held the course today. Please send her my thanks, and let her know I really enjoyed the day and had a lovely time stitching and creating my seascape scene. Now I've got it home, I'm over the moon with it and have loads of ideas for it. I forgot to say that I'm new to sewing and your craft day has really inspired me. 
Liz

I think all of the WI ladies in today's post have excelled themselves. Wouldn't it be fabulous to have an exhibition of them all when they are finished? Truly marvellous and it was an honour to be asked in to run these workshops so thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment