Friday 2 August 2024

Uplift Exhibition

 

I had my first proper art exhibition in July, submitting three pieces of work to be considered for a fundraising exhibition by Victoria Pavilion Arts who provide, and raise money for, an Arts for Wellbeing project at the Sussex Support Service. The theme of the exhibition was 'Uplift', chosen because it represents the benefits aimed to be achieved through the arts project and the emotions encountered from those taking part in the sessions - "a boost to mind and body, increased confidence, cheerfulness and optimism."  

The brief was: "Uplift. A simple word but what does it mean to you? Perhaps to transport to a happier or safer place; to inspire, to elevate or to raise the spirits. It may be physical, emotional or spiritual but the word itself undoubtedly engenders feelings of positivity, regrowth and betterment."

You had to send in images of the artwork along with their details, a biography and an artist statement - although these weren't actually used in the exhibition so I'll share them here because I was particular proud of the lofty artiness of my artist statement, I hope you enjoy it too; 

"The sea calls to me, and I have spent many a happy hour searching the beaches for the gifts the white horses bring with them in their race to the sands. There is something so soothing about the rhythmic push and pull of the waves, the pebbles rattling and tumbling hopelessly as the ocean sniffs them back in. 
I can't help but feel joy and a sense of freedom there. The salty tang in my nose, gulls calling overhead, or squabbling over an abandoned sandwich, children laughing as their legs are playfully splashed by freezing droplets, the satisfying crunch underneath my sandals as my eyes scour the sand for treasures to take home; shells with interesting holes in, sea glass that changes colour when you hold it to the light or a smooth stone that lives in my pocket. 
When I can't get to the beach I create my own, through fabric and thread, adding in a few of my treasures to give each hoop its own tangible piece of those memories and feelings, hidden in a simple shell. The smell never quite leaves either."

What do you think of that then? These are the three pieces I submitted for entry...


Title: Crooklets Cove
Size: Embroidery Hoop 15cm, Frame Exterior 24.5cm, Frame Depth 3.5cm
Medium: Hand embroidered textile art embellished with real shells


Title: Barnacle Bay 
Size: Embroidery Hoop 20cm, Frame Exterior 34.5cm, Frame Depth 3.5cm
Medium: Hand embroidered textile art embellished with real shells


Title: Camber Sands
Size: Embroidery Hoop 25cm, Frame Exterior 39.5cm, Frame Depth 3.5cm
Medium: Hand embroidered textile art embellished with real shells

And all three of them were accepted! Huzzah! 

It was very exciting. The frames got dropped off (although I got my dates muddled up so I ended up delivering them late as I'd put the wrong delivery date on my calendar) and then the organisers put together the display so the next time I saw them, after their arrival in an enormous bag for life, was up on the wall as part of the exhibition! How cool. 


The Mother and I went to the open evening, and I was surprised by two close friends who also came along to see it with me (thank you chaps!), which was really well attended and we wandered around with prosecco (or at least I did) looking at all of the other artist's work. There were a couple of other textile artists there which was nice to see, and one piece that was also hand embroidered but not in the same style or detail as mine so I think I stood out a bit. But that's a personal opinion and I may be biased. 


The lighting was a little bit dark as the building is actually the top of a cricket pavilion so the roof is all angles and skylights, but it wasn't too bad and when the sun came out the pieces were sort of illuminated by the evening sun which was nice. 



There was a fantastic sky outside that evening and it was quite hot inside so The Mother and I sat on a little bench next to the cricket pitch for a while cooling off before returning back inside and then eventually heading home.

I wasn't able to help steward much over the weekend as I had another Guide event on but when I did manage to get back there on the Sunday afternoon, it was to find a red sticker dot on my big Camber Sands Stitchscape!


Someone had purchased it!!! It hadn't really crossed my mind that someone would actually buy one of the pieces, and it's led to a lot of internal discussion about my pricing because I'd forgotten to add on an allowance for the percentage fee that was being charged for sales by the exhibition organisers so I didn't get a huge amount for it in the end considering its size but, I do happen to know the person who purchased it as she's a fairly prominent figure in the local area and I've had two of her children at Guides, and my Mum knows her because she taught her children at primary school so there's a history there and I'm pleased it's gone to someone I know will appreciate it. The Stitchscape was purchased as a gift for the buyer's parents for a special wedding anniversary so there's that as well and I really hope that they like it and find joy in the shells and stitches.
As one of my biggest pieces to date it was slightly bittersweet to say goodbye - I will have to start another big seascape now to replace its spot on my seascape display at workshops too!

After the initial, physically bouncing excitement was over, Reece and Baby F and I shared some delicious celebratory cake at the Pavilion and I stayed to chat to the other artists and visitors for the rest of the afternoon, then was able to wrap up and package my Stitchscapes and take home the ones that hadn't sold.
I might have caught an exhibiting bug as I'd like to try and get some more pieces into exhibitions and am now in discussions to potentially have a shared exhibition just with me and one other textile artist next year! How cool would that be!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment