Sunday 22 September 2024

Harvest Sun Kit Release


Yay! This post is long overdue as the Harvest Sun kit has actually been out in shops and sent off to stockists for several weeks now but it's still worth my writing a post about it I think. I'm really pleased with this kit, it took a long time to come up with the design and I'm not necessarily expecting it to fly off the virtual shelves but for those who ask me if there is a kit that can be considered 'next level', this one will be it! 
It's not complicated (in my opinion), there are lots of repeated stitches in it that appear in multiple layers but in different thicknesses and colours or with different threads, so you will all be experts if you aren't already. 

You can see my post about the finished hoop, written in May, here if you would like to see more about my thoughts and feelings on it when it was newly completed. I did do a stitch run down for the hoop in that post but, as a reminder, the stitches that are used in this kit (and which you can learn should you decide to tackle it) are; blanket stitch, straight stitch, seed stitch, bullion knots, running stitch, french knots, couching, whipped back stitch, detached chain stitch, pistil stitch and beading. 

Inside the booklet are diagrams and descriptions of how to make those stitches as well as some additional tips for the ones which can be slightly tricker - like the bullion knots and french knots. For the bullion knots especially there is also a photo heavy 'how-to' tutorial you can find on this blog along the right hand side, or on my website under the tutorials section. 



Also in the booklet are detailed, layer by layer, instructions on which thread colours to use on each layer, the number of strands and the stitches to use. There are templates for each layer as well and extra diagrams to help explain techniques so I've tried to include as much as I can - this is the longest, most detailed booklet I have written! Most of it was written whilst I was waiting to be called in for jury service as well so that extra time really helped to push me to get this one finished. 


The design uses nine different fabrics (not including the calico backing) and they are all really lovely 100% cotton fabrics with beautiful warm colours and a variety of textures and patterns. I've also included the thinnest, smallest, cutest ric rac I could find! Scale is everything in these pieces and often a normal ric rac trimming just looks too heavy, but this one is super sweet! There is a lovely cotton lace as well with a really delicate look to it which works beautifully with the detached chain stitch lazy daisy petals on the bottom layer. 
There are seventeen different threads, including four different types of thread so it's an interesting way to explore what the benefit of each of those thread types is and different ways to work with them. Some I have used before, like the Anchor stranded (my staple), Anchor Tapisserie (slightly more woolly and great for chunkier, softer lines), and DMC Coton Perle which appears in Woollydale II and Fire Flower II. But I've also used a new thread to me - Coton a Broder, which is a whole thread so you don't split it down, and it gives a great solid line which stands out from the other threads. 
Oh, and don't forget the beads! Both yellow glass beads but one is opaque shiny yellow and one is slightly paler, frosted yellow. Just for fun.



This isn't a project for someone who wants to whip up a piece quickly. There are a lot of stitches and techniques in each layer and I have intended for it to be a bit of a journey. Slow stitching is very popular right now, mindful stitching that can be picked up and put down - whilst this isn't quite the same thing, Stitchscapes can be picked up and put down because you never lose the pattern as it's already on the fabric underneath. 

I find stitching very peaceful personally. You can sit and think through all sorts of things and it is a great way to carve out time for you to just work through any troubles you're having, finalise lists, make plans, stave off any boredom and occupy your hands if you are a fidgeter. 
Having worked in this area for many years now, stitching is also a huge community thing, regardless of if you stitch on your own at home, you can always join a group of stitchers and be accepted and learn from each other, laugh with each other - I see it in every workshop. Being a creative person is wonderful and I've never met a horrible creative person. So there's that too - all wrapped up in one kit!




The kit itself is very sunny and summery. It reminds me of long summer days on holiday in Yorkshire or similar places where the sun lazily drops down behind hills late in the day and the fields are full of sweetcorn or sunflowers. There's that lovely golden moment at the end of such days where the birds are still tweeting and the little midgey flies are having some kind of rave party in golden beams of light. This is what this kit means to me, but if you make one you can turn it into whatever memory you would like it to be - and amended it or change it in any way you like, I won't mind. 




I really hope that you will love this kit as much as I do. It's bigger in terms of the length of time it takes, but also physically it is made in a 20cm hoop so there is more fabric in it and it's just a chonk of a kit! 

If you have been inspired to have a go - or to add it to your birthday/Christmas/special occasion lists - you can currently purchase it from my Etsy shop, my web shop and from the-stitchery in Lewes

And if you do stitch one up of your very own, please don't forget to send me photographs!! All of my contact details are in the back page of the booklet so there is really no excuse. I hope you enjoy this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment