Monday 17 February 2020

Dale Chihuly At Kew Gardens


It's been a while since I last posted on here, blogging has taken a bit of a back seat amongst everything else that has to happen in running a business and life ticks along at a scarily brisk pace.

I've also changed how I take photos; having upgraded to a iPhone most of my images are now phone snaps, immediately uploaded to Instagram or Facebook without needing my big camera to be lugged around with me. Blogging is the newspaper of the online community.
Occasionally I do remember to get the camera out and on a visit to Kew Gardens last year to see the Dale Chihuly exhibition I knew I wanted to get some macro zooms and higher quality images of his amazing glassworks!


My absolute favourite glass house at Kew is the waterlily house. Although it may also be the smallest, the waterlilies are stunning and come in a variety of shapes and colours, casting their reflections onto the mirror-like water below. Chihuly's glass piece in this pool was just as incredible and breathtaking, mirroring the reflections but in dish plate proportions!




In the centre of the garden, there were glass pieces everywhere and I'm sure we didn't get to see them all but it was fascinating to see the way they would occasionally appear to be naturally growing in the shrubberies and then be an outstanding, one-off mad ball of spikes behind a hedge! Although it was an overcast day, the glass was almost lit from within, glowing with exuberance and depth of colour.








It was definitely one of my favourite exhibitions of all time. I've long been a fan of Chihuly's work and have memories of researching him during art class at secondary school over ten years ago and trying to create my own 'glasswork' art using thick wedges of PVA glue and acetate. A privilege to see so much of his work in one place and at one of my favourite places!!


No comments:

Post a Comment