Monday 30 October 2023

September Rockpool ATC Swap

 

This was a quiet little swap for September. Sadly we had several regular members decide that they weren't able to carry on anymore - all for very good reasons - so it was smaller than it has been in past months. If you sign up to the swap you don't have to do it regularly, there is no obligation sworn in blood to send a card in for every month but it was sad for me to see these ladies go, especially as one has been joining in since the start. Hopefully they might be back again next year!
The cards that were sent in though were the usual high standard of quality interpretations and executions. Again there's such an interesting mixture of realistic portrayals and the slightly more abstract pieces. I love the two focused on a particular creature, the detail in both of them is stunning. 


I thought Suzi's one (above) was particularly sweet with the toe dipping in and the red polished toe nails. I would never have thought of that! Do you think the crab is just about to give the person's foot a pinch? I'd like to think so!!

Veronica's card (below) focuses more on Holiday Memories and has some beautiful Northern Light inspired fabric at the back with, I think, rocks and even snow interpreted in Hardanger. I haven't had much experience with this particular embroidery technique but as I understand it you make the blocks of satin stitch (usually always in a geometric pattern) and then you can cut sections of the fabric away to reveal a lacy pattern. It's really very effective!!



Jenni's lovely card I would assume has been made with free machine embroidery on a water soluble fabric for the green seaweed, then the fabric dissolved and the seaweed stitched over this wonderfully textured thread background. I don't know whether the background has also been stitched in the same way? I love the little embroidered starfish!

Liz's wonderful sea anemone looks like it's been made with some very close together stem stitches to form the body of the anemone, with long stitches and french knots for the wavy top. Isn't the pink wonderful against the dark blue background? It really pops. 
(I'd just like to point out that this is how I think everyone has made their pieces, it doesn't actually say anywhere how they have been created but I like to try and decipher the techniques. Do correct me if I'm wrong or you have a different thought!)



I'm not sure how Jacquie has made the purple seaweed in the background of her card. It looks like a heavy vilene (interfacing) that has been painted and ironed on? I think pretty papers or painted fabrics have been glued or stitched at the bottom, then feather stitch used to make the green seaweed and wonderful chain stitch fishes. 

I love Abi's starfish, look at the detail stitched onto the arms! Is it arms for a starfish? Or are they legs? It was padded slightly too which was nice because it did really look like the starfish was just plopped on there and could almost be picked up from the pool. 


Such a wonderful little collection all laid out in the golden evening sunshine! Do you have a favourite? 


No comments:

Post a Comment