Wednesday 2 February 2011

Alphabet ATCs

It's been a while since my last post, for which I can only blame the amount of work I have been doing and also a strange compulsion to embroider my latest ATCs. They aren't due in for a while, but as soon as I got the idea I just couldn't help myself and had to have a go.
Do you remember when you used to get cards or postcards and they would have the first letter of your name surrounded by flowers and insects and generally pretty things? I used to get the blank ones to colour in and decided to use these for inspiration...this was what I came up with:





I learnt two new stitches for this, with the aid of The Mother (who is a fab embroiderer) and the stitching glossary in the back of Stitch magazine- which for those of you who don't know what it is, is a really good magazine for giving inspiration for a whole variety of different kinds of projects.
The long flowery stitches are called Bullion Stitch , where you wrap the thread around the needle (click on the link for a step by step of how to do this stitch), and then of course there is the French Knot, which is a stitch I have always struggled with but have finally mastered!!!....I think...some of the knots are a bit loopy.
Only two of these cards (the A and B cards) are being sent in for a swap, the other two are the evidence of my getting carried away so will probably be given out as a different swap.

No comments:

Post a Comment