Monday 5 September 2011

Learning to Crochet

I know in previous posts I have mentioned the magazine Mollie Makes, and whilst flicking through those hallowed pages, there are lots of little projects to do...if you can crochet! After looking at the gobbledygook on the 'crochet your own veg' page, I decided enough was enough and YouTubed how to crochet.
There are many helpful videos showing you the basics of crochet and then some showing the trickier steps- these are especially good if you are a visual learner like me. If you are interested in learning to crochet, I found Naztazia particularly helpful in the two part guide to the basic stitches.
After several hours of practice and unravelling what I had done, I decided to try and make a crochet pea pod (complete with individual crochet peas!) but to my sadness, several of the stitches were still completely foreign sounding to me. Instead, I flicked through previous magazines and came across a crochet apple holder which looked quite sweet and easy to make.
Once you get the hang of it, crochet is actually quite fast and easy, and I had an apple holder made in no time...unfortunately, the size of the crochet hook I had been using was several times larger than the one suggested in the pattern so it has now been adapted to a pepper or orange holder. For a first attempt though, I'm pretty proud (and one day I will be able to make the pea pod!).

No comments:

Post a Comment