Friday 31 January 2014

Stitching Chimneys


Evening Everybody! I have been meaning to write this post for a while but kept forgetting to take the required photos. As you have probably guessed, the current project is based on chimneys!
I often show you all the finished pieces or pieces in progress but I thought this time I would show the working process. Usually I start with my own photographs and edit them on Photoshop, although for this project I found a fabulous filter on Microsoft Word which made the photos go all arty and outlined!



The slightly sepia coloured ones are negative photocopies (brilliant technique, throws out all sorts of amazing colour combinations), the one below is the original filtered photo.



Following photo manipulation comes stitchy practice. I am favouring whip stitch at the minute as it gives a fabulously strong outline. The focus in these tests is to achieve different qualities of line, what do you think?




 After testing the stitches, there is nothing left for it than to take a deep breath and try a full on image!!


The majority of dark lines in this picture are created through couching a cotton yarn. I have also played with back stitch, running stitch, whip stitch, french knots, long stitch, (I can't remember what the brick stitch is called, but that one as well), and some machine stitching.



It took a very long time to create the piece above, and naturally the tutors loved and it want more! So it is on to the next one, translating the photo image to the fabric (through the highly technical technique of tracing it on with a pencil) and seeing where the stitches take me!! I will let you know how it goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment