Tuesday 14 April 2020

Shiny Green Stitchscape


I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, in the Sunset Sea Stitchscape post, about the example hoops I put together for my workshops to demonstrate how fabrics can be layered and things to watch out for. This is the other example hoop I had lying around waiting for something to happen to it (which means that I can now create completely new hoops having cleared my deck!) and, quite honestly, this is the one I found the least inspiring.
It was put together such a long time ago that I can't remember why these specific fabrics were chosen, other than the colours were sort of co-ordinated with the zestiness and blue tones. There are still fabric bits I'm not that keen on - the shape of the third fabric down from the top bothers me because of its flatness, and I'm not overly keen on the two fabrics above. It's all quite busy I think and there are no other colours in this piece to bring certain areas out. No focal point.


I wasn't bothered enough by it to re-do any of the sections though and each layer called out for certain stitches (funny how that happens). I actually started stitching this in the middle blue grid batik layer because that one shouted the loudest. It has been really simply worked with lines of back stitch following the grid pattern created with the batik technique and, originally, it was left just as simple as that. Much later on, however, I decided that the blue from the berries a couple of layers up needed to be brought down further in the hoop to help colour balance it so I added tiny blue (one or two twist with two strands of thread) french knots scattered across in drifts. The very last thing I did to this piece was to return to that layer and add in some tiny greeny/blue beads, which were also used to secure the sequins in the bottom layer, to try and take some of the shininess discreetly up into the piece.
It often happens this way, I will leave a layer as 'finished' but return to it over and over again as the piece develops.


The green 'cactus' layer is very easily treated, with the stylised cactus motif being covered in a rough satin stitch to pad those areas out, and then a single strand of a darker colour matching the fabric was worked in a seed stitch around. At the time of putting the french knots at the top of this layer I hadn't thought about the little french knots going in above it so there's a lot of knotting there but I like how they change in size. The blue ones remind me a little bit of Bluebells.


The top three layers are very simple as I knew I wanted something shiny at the bottom to help lift the whole piece. The beautiful colour wash print fabric has had some colours brought out in long straight stitches, not quite worked into a satin stitch. I used three strands for this and separated each strand before starting stitching to help smooth them out and create a flatter texture with no thread twists.
I wasn't sure how to edge this one and ended up twisting my own cord using the three colours stitched in, it's a really nice way to edge something and keep it all looking cohesive.
The layer above has a single strand straight stitch down the centre of each leaf and satin stitch in blue over the berries. Each spot between these motifs has a tiny two-twist french knot.
Finally, the top layer has whipped back stitch along one side (the right hand side) of each curved line. I tried working both sides of the line but it was too much, and I had used the wrong colour so it all got unpicked and started again.


The bottom layer is my favourite. I love batik prints like this anyway, nothing can go wrong if you use them in my opinion. The top edge of the fabric has been covered in a lovely braid with a metallic strand braided into it (the braid pattern reminds me of snail shells!) This is quite dark in contrast with the two fabrics it's wedged between but matches the darker, muddier tones in layers above.
I've toned it in with straight stitch stems, again mirroring muddier shades from above, taking the stems along the braid and also down into the fabric pattern. I will often work over stitches that I've done in the background to create deeper layers - sometimes you can't see the original stitches because of the new ones over the top!


I think it was The Mother who gave me a small stash of really lovely iridescent sequins which have blue, green and bronze in them. There are three different shapes; flowers (which I used in the horrifically named Gold Meadow Peaks Stitchscape), leaves and these little satellite dish shapes which catch all of the light and appear to glow from within, even in dingy lighting. They look spectacular in the sun and I'm so pleased I've used them - it really changed the whole piece for me. I'm almost so blinded by the loveliness of the sequins I can forget about the top half that I'm not so keen on.
They did look slightly odd just plonked on the fabric though, and I wanted some of that really lovely bright zesty green from further up to be brought down so I've worked some chunky four or five twist, untidy french knots around the sequins to bed them in a bit, which has worked really well as that colour is reflected in the sequins themselves.


Of course, once finished (and this one will be added to a hoop wall I've created in my bedroom rather than redecorating it), I had to go outside to our Bluebell patch and do a little photoshoot of the Stitchscape among the Bluebells. I think it fits right in!





So, the final stitch round up is; stem stitch, straight stitch, french knots, seed stitch, satin stitch, back stitch, bullion knots, long stitch, whipped back stitch, couching and beading. Not a very long or complicated list!


I was trying to think of other words to describe these sequins. I could only come up with iridescent (pearlescent wasn't quite right as there is too much colour in them) and Dad ended up researching all sorts of other words that could be used. I thought you might like to read some of them to see what you think:

Iridescence Definition:
(also known as goniochromism) is the phenomenon of certain surfaces that appear to gradually change colour as the angle of view or the angle of illumination changes. Examples of iridescence include soap bubbles, feathers, butterfly wings and seashell nacre, as well as certain minerals. It is often created by structural colouration (microstructures that interfere with light).

Synonyms:changeable, mutable, opaline, shot, pearlescent, nacreous, opalescent, changeful, chatoyant, uncertain, unsettled.

Antonyms: colourless, dull

(Further definition search turned up this description of Nacreous; having a play of lustrous rainbow colours, "an iridescent oil slick" - which fits quite well!)


No comments:

Post a Comment