Saturday 15 May 2021

Bluebell Season

 

It's nearing the end of Bluebell season here in the UK, although the woods will still be blue for a little longer. The Mother has just mentioned that the ones in our garden are starting to look a little droopy and sad but they came out a week or two before the woodland ones so we've got maybe two or three more weeks of beautiful walks. Generally it's been a late season because it's been so flippin' cold the last few months!! So many plants are delayed because of the early morning frosts and, even though we've had one or two hot days (in double figures!), the frosts keep coming. 

I was just wondering what time of year it was when I last posted about the Bluebell woods within walking distance from my house and, according to my blog, it was the 16th April so they're nearly a month later! The post itself was a little sad as we were four weeks in to the first COVID lockdown and the world was a very scary place (you can read it here). My shop had gone completely bonkers with sales and we were all confined to our homes other than one bout of outdoor exercise a day. 

This year seems very different; I am actually the only person in the house still waiting to be vaccinated, my gorgeous other half (who moved in at the start of lockdown 1.0) is still here and has officially moved in, we are all (with the exception of Dad who is still working from home) going out to work, I'm back on the bus commute and my shop has slowed right down to pre-COVID sales. 

So, we will see what this year brings! Regardless, the Bluebells will be out doing their thing when they feel like it and this time we went along with some Stitchscape friends of mine. You may recognise them from previous posts, or you may have even made a couple of them!! My lovely Bluebell themed 'scape pals are the Bluebell Blues Stitchscape (stitched in October 2019) and the two Bluebell Garden Stitchscape kits, both the navy version and the lace version. Links to original blog posts about them are highlighted over their name in that last sentence. 


It's so much fun staging little photoshoot areas when the inspiration is directly in front of you. I'm not sure that there were as many Bluebells out though this year, maybe because of the cold weather? I was being very careful not to trample on the bells as I walked in and out of them trying out different places and positions. 







The photos taken earlier on in the day, in our garden were a little bit easier as the flower beds are raised up so I could tweak as much as I liked without squashing anything. I think I will always be inspired by the woodland and actually there are many more woodland seasons I could try to stitch. The wild Garlic has been fairly abundant this year, as have the Celandines and the Wood Anemones so maybe a white and yellow woodland piece?




Do you have any seasons that particularly inspire you? I'd love to know!


No comments:

Post a Comment