Wednesday 15 February 2012

Contagious Crochet

I am feeling very proud of myself at the minute because, somehow, I have managed to get half of my flat picking up crochet hooks and creating things- mostly granny squares, but still, it's a start!

 
 It's a bit difficult trying to coach several people all doing different things at the same time though, something I will have to practise I think. Still, a very pleasurable evening.

 
 Laura here is very proud of her first ever attempt at crochet! Here's hoping to many more granny squares- especially as she has bought a whole load of wool!!

Even I had a productive evening, working on a new project- jellyfish!! I am going to experiment with this pattern more though, making the swirly bits longer and different colours, and making the whole thing bigger or smaller. Soon I will have lots of jellyfish hanging from my ceiling!!


I may have shown you this before, but a few years ago I went to the Brighton Hobbycraft show, and there was the most amazing art piece- a tunnel made completely out of knitted and crocheted items, from fish, to coral, to lighthouses, seagulls and even a fisherman clutching a lobster! It was totally epic, and my jellyfish very much reminds me of it. It is the creative baby of Alison and Ann Murray, called 'Above and Below the Waves', and has been made by hundreds of talented and keen knitters/crocheters, of different ages and even nationalities, all in the name of charity!




Photos courtesy of Lady Jardin (who was also very impressed with the show by the sounds of things!)

2 comments:

  1. I love your crochet jellyfish! I was just about to ask if you had thought about using UV or glow-in-the-dark yarn (just did a UV project last term so it's all I can think about!) and then I scrolled down to see the AMAZING UV under water scene, woah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz. I hadn't thought about glow-in-the-dark yarn, where can you get it from? And the underwater thing was totally mindblowing- could have stayed sitting in it for hours!!

    ReplyDelete