Thursday 13 June 2013

Half Hexagons

 (By Alison)

Afternoon! I've had these little beauties for a while but kept forgetting to photograph them. They are the returns for the Pink ATC swap (obviously!), and aren't they beautiful!! This month's colour is red so I shall shortly be getting my creative 'red' hat on.

 (By Becky)                                             (By Wendy)

I have been very busy doing a spot of baking this morning, making fairy cakes.


Of course, there is only one way to eat fairy cakes properly; you eat the wings first, then lick out all the butter icing and then eat the rest of the cake (unless you are my Dad in which case you put the whole cake in your mouth at once!).



I have also been doing a spot of crochet, just for the fun of it!! My Aunt dropped round some balls of wool she no longer wanted so I decided to do something with it rather than just adding to my extensive wool ball collection. I thought a cushion might be nice and started playing around with the hexagon pattern from Attic 24 (you remember I made a blanket using this pattern?). It was going well but I wanted a cleaner shape which would involve some half hexagon pieces.... could I find a nice pattern on the internet? Nope! So I ended up spending about 4 hours just trying to figure out how to make a nice, flat, even half hexagon shape! I eventually managed it, and will be writing a tutorial for those who may be interested.
Here is the finished front cushion piece!
 


So the half hexagon pattern I've come up with matches with the pattern written by Lucy (Attic 24), there were other half hexagon patterns on the internet, just none that fitted with the same pattern I was doing.

 
Now I'm just struggling to find a hexagon shaped cushion insert!! If anyone knows where I can get one please let me know, although I have a feeling it would just be easier to make my own.....
 
 
......................................................................................................................................................................
 
Edit to add: the tutorial for the little half hexagons is now up and running, you can find it here, or in the usual place in my sidebar. Have fun!! Let me know how you get on! (You can post your photos on my facebook page- a link to that is in the sidebar, or simply click here)

1 comment:

  1. Beth, the cushion cover front looks great. Worth all the time and effort working out the half hexagon pattern,
    Love
    Mum

    ReplyDelete